|Position: Human Resources Manager |
Business: Seba Foods Zambia Limited
Work-level: Mid-Level Management
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
|Part of 260 Brands Africa, Seba Foods (Z) Ltd is an African consumer goods manufacturer based in Zambia.|
We provide ‘value-for-money’ products that consumers can trust and feel good about. The company`s products have become household names in Zambia, priding themselves in very high-quality products through well-known brands such as Golden Goodness, Emilios and Instant Thobwa.
We manufacture, market and distribute reasonably priced consumer products inspired by local tastes, made from the best African raw ingredients that contribute to our consumer’s well-being.
Our local brands that are trusted and loved by our consumers are the most valuable asset we have. Our products must always be high-quality and a source wellness and pride.
We empower local farmers and small businesses by locally sourcing inputs and materials whenever we can.
We believe in creating mutually beneficial relationships. If we prosper, so should our consumers, employees, customers, suppliers and the community.
|The HR Manager shall report directly to the Chief Executive Officer. The HR Manager will be responsible for developing, planning and implementing human resource daily operations, programs and policies as well as ensuring administrative and compliance duties are carried out successfully. Opportunities for advancement to more senior leadership pending demonstration of good performance.|
| The Human Resource Manager role will carry out various functions both administrative and strategic in nature. The core responsibilities will fall under the below six categories: |
1. Recruitment of top talent for all Company Departments, utilizing advertising campaigns, school and university relationships, and website presence to promote employment opportunities
2. Screening candidates in preliminary interviews for final interviews by Heads of Departments
3. Writing employee contracts and support to HODs in negotiating salary and benefits
4. Manage onboarding documentation requirements for newly hired employees
5. Collaboration with Heads of Departments with employee contract management, including employee contract changes in conditions, contract renewals and probation extensions, preparing resignation/termination acknowledgement letters and conducting exit interviews
6. Research and make recommendations for improved employee retention; coordinate and implement staff retention initiatives where necessary
7. Ensuring compliance with legal and cultural expectations when it comes to employee compensation
8. Assist in payroll preparation by inputting relevant data into Belina software database, such as new employees, departed employees, changes in conditions for existing staff contracts, loans/shortages, mid-month payments, etc.
9. Ensure proper payroll administration practices are carried out by ensuring appropriate documentation is maintained and payslips are distributed timely to staff
10. Discussing raises and other compensation increases and/or decreases with employees in the organization; calculating and distributing bonuses at end of year
11. Support CEO in a manpower cost plan by conducting periodic pay surveys; scheduling and conducting job evaluations; preparing pay budgets; and recommending, planning, and implementing pay structure revisions.
12. Implements employee benefits programs and informs employees of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends; recommending benefit programs to management
Employee and Labour Relations
13. Handles disciplinary management issues by counseling and advising employees, and counseling HODs and managers on issuing verbal warnings and warning letters; conduct investigations where necessary
14. Bridge management and employee relations by addressing staff demands, grievances or other issues; troubleshoot inquiries and conduct investigations where necessary; mediate disputes between employees and other employees as well as between employees and supervisors
15. Handles cases of theft and any associated legal procedures
16. Represents the company in labour-related court hearings and disputes
17. Discussing employee rights with unions, management, and stakeholders; participate in union negotiations where necessary
18. Develop and implement human resources policies and procedures; Counsels managers and employees in the interpretation and application of corporate policies and procedures.
19. Acting as the voice of the organization and/or the voice of the employees during any broader organizational issues pertaining to employee welfare
20. Remain visual on the production floor each week for employee communication and awareness & field HR inquiries
21. Support CEO with development and implementation of an organizational culture that is positive, nurtures talent and helps staff feel a part of a successful, purpose driven business and to see impact they’re having in through the work they do
22. Support CEO with engagement, motivation and preservation of human capital, including dissemination of employee engagement surveys, coordinating team building events, etc.
Administration and Compliance
Development & Training:
29. Conduct new employee orientation training by providing information on company operations and culture, introductions to relevant departments and to HR policies & procedures
30. Support CEO with Training & Development initiatives including, but not limited to: assessing training needs of staff, coordinating and implementing quality, health and safety training and behavioral change, developing succession and career development programs for aspiring management prospects, and performance management systems to drive high performance.
|Key Qualifications & Requirements|
1. 6-10+ years experience in progressively responsible human resource roles in a manufacturing environment preferred, including combined 3+ years of experience in Labor Relations and Employee Relations and 3+ years of experience in a supervisory role
1. BA/BS in Human Resources or a related field, or comparable experience in lieu of degree;
2. Broad knowledge and skills in Human Resources principles and practices including knowledge of Employment Code Act, staffing and recruitment practices, compensation & benefits, employee relations, policy development and implementation and supporting diversity
3. Strong PC application skills including MS Office programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
4. Member of ZIHRM
5. Has hands-on experience with employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, investigations and court hearings
6. Belina software experience a plus;
Skills & Characteristics:
1. Demonstrates a high-level of integrity, a strong depth of knowledge, provides a wide range of HR concepts and takes a leadership role in various HR initiatives and projects.
2. Ability to listen well, comprehend and analyze situations; excellent critical thinking and decision making skills
3. Ability to develop effective working relationships within all areas of the company
4. Is able to handle payroll information and personal information with sensitivity and care
5. Excellent managerial skills and able to motivate and inspire lower level staff to achieve optimal performance
6. Able to pay close attention to detail and carry out basic, accurate calculations
7. Embodies a strong work ethic
|Solving Problems and Getting Results|
|1. Accept responsibility for resolving a problem to its final conclusion|
2. Assist in the achievement and the on-going improvement of business results
3. Show dissatisfaction with poor performance and drive processes to achieve business goals
4. Strive to achieve agreed deadlines and standards, especially when the going gets tough or the anticipated situation changes
5. Apply a systematic problem-solving approach to identify causes, explore alternatives and recommend the best course of action to resolve the problem now and into the future
|1. Remain up to date in your area of specialty or expertise|
2. Apply a body of knowledge and experience to current business situations in order to add value and improve business efficiencies and profitability
3. Apply technical or specialist expertise and experience for the benefit of the organisation and consider the context in which these are applied
4. Ensure that your functional expertise supports that of other experts, rather than being in competition with them (e.g. colleagues)
5. Persuade or negotiate with others by relying on technical or specialist knowledge and experience;
6. Present documented material or proposals in a credible and professional manner
7. Share the technical implications of a situation with non-specialists, or explain it to them
|The ideal candidate must be able to:|
1. Speak English clearly and confidently i.e. must be articulate;
2. Listen actively to fully understand the other person’s view or perspective;
3. Tailor feedback to the specific needs and communication styles of others;
4. Prepare effective presentations and where required, concisely present/communicate a complete and accurate picture of the current situation or of the company’s products and services;
5. Develop and maintain two-way communication with a variety of people at different levels both within and outside the organisation;
6. Suggest proposals to address vital concerns and important business issues; and
7. Build a network of relevant role-players both within and outside the organization.
|1. Influence others to achieve the organisation’s human resources mission and goals;|
2. Organise the work and allocate roles and responsibilities to self and staff members;
3. Provide ongoing direction to individuals/teams in terms of roles, goal setting and performance standards;
4. Coach and assign/delegate tasks to develop the capabilities of others and find satisfaction in knowing the impact made on an individual’s work and career;
5. Lead from a position of influence, not merely authority;
6. Create and reinforce a culture of teamwork and cooperation amongst all stakeholders;
7. Create a climate of sustainable motivation at work that empowers people to want to do their best;
8. Provide the information and other resources needed for staff to perform their tasks well;
9. Communicate results achieved on a regular basis, and realign focus and standards when needed;
10. Complete face-to-face staff evaluations and written appraisals where appropriate;
11. Resolve conflict between and among employees constructively and fairly;
12. Manage poor performance decisively and in good time;
13. Implement disciplinary procedures where necessary ensuring alignment with organisational policies & governing labour legislation.
|1. Use complex strategic thinking skills and incorporate conceptual, analytical and intuitive abilities;|
2. Disseminate and communicate the vision for the future;
3. Develop clear, step-by-step Human Resource strategies aligned to the Vertical’s overall Strategic intent and timelines; and understand the organisation’s inherent strengths & weaknesses in relation to human capital;
4. Understand and keep abreast of competitors’ strengths and weaknesses;
5. Formulate policies and procedures to support the business;
6. Plan and implement fact based changes and innovations within the business;
7. Identify and verify critical information and intelligence for formulating goals;
8. Set long-term objectives for the business;
9. Build an appropriate image for the company and broader organisation.
|Entrepreneurship and profitable growth|
|1. Proactively seek opportunities to grow the current business and identify new business opportunities;|
2. Identify opportunities in clients’ businesses to promote relevant solutions in your own business;
3. Determine, as soon as possible, the costs and benefits of a business proposition;
4. Understand the key performance indicators/influencers driving the market (externally & internally);
5. Understand and manage the market dynamics (competition, the rules of the game and regulations);
6. Understand financial terms and conditions in the business process, including cash flow, discounts, credit terms, implementation costs, project funding, foreign exchange, taxation, et al:
7. Formulate a budget and understand and work closely to deliver that budget.
|Solving Problems and Getting Results|
|1. Accept responsibility for resolving a problem to its final conclusion;|
2. Drive achievement and the on-going improvement of business results;
3. Show dissatisfaction with poor performance and drive processes to achieve business goals;
4. Strive to achieve agreed deadlines and standards, especially when the going gets tough or the anticipated situation changes;
5. Review and evaluate proposals in line with broader business strategies;
6. Know when to move on to the next opportunity and not invest too much time on “spent” business opportunities;
7. Apply a systematic problem-solving approach to identify causes, explore alternatives and decide on the best course of action to resolve the problem now and into the future.
Interested applicants please email a cover letter and CV only to firstname.lastname@example.org, with ‘HR Manager’ written in the subject line.